Monday, January 13, 2014

Bridal Show Hell...

Have you ever been in a situation where you are pretty sure the whole world is against you and your happiness? Well that was my Saturday...

So Saturday after hours of screaming and tears falling (not to mention what came out of the 5 and 9 year old'Bridal Show aka the physical manifestation of all my unrequited hopes and dreams...
s I was with) I piled children into a car and drove out to my own personal hell for lunch with their parents who were dancing at a

It was pretty bright out so I traded my Rx glasses for my fancy Christmas Gift Oakley's my boss got me and started the car... About 47 seconds into the drive the voice from the back seat says "Samy, who am I going to marry?" Well, 5-year-old, I thought, if I had the ability to tell people that I would't be here, now would I?! But what I said was "Prince Charming" her reply: "But who is that?!!!!!" "Everyone has their own Prince Charming, I don't know who your's is." after some screaming about how I just needed to stop withholding information and give up the name the subject was artfully changed by yours truly and we continued on towards the Mecca of my dreams. 

Once we got inside I realized I still had my sunglasses on and not my prescription lenses. It was windy out and I had no desire to treck the 6- rows back so I just decided to accept the annoying but not debilitating haze that was around me. 

The woman at the door stopped me and asked "are you the bride?!" with a cheery almost conspiratorial smile on her face. "oh, no, I'm just meeting someone here, I wish though!" she smirked and said "last year they had me here while i was going thorough a divorce... Be grateful you're single!" and on that happy thought we walked into the maze of sparkles and pink taffeta! 

I was immediately grateful for the less than perfect vision I had to deal with because I was pretty positive it kept me from seeing too much of the items I dream about... Diamonds, cakes, bridesmaid dresses, all the things that haunt my "I'm such a girl" pinterest board. We found the kid's parents after the 5-year-old "not a real princess so how can she have a real prince?!" stopped at every other booth with sparkles anywhere in sight. The lady who was manning the dance studio's booth came up to me and said with a twinkle in her eye "so... When's the big day?!" for the second, possibly third time that day I had to inform a complete stranger that no, I am not engaged, nor does it appear I ever will be... 

We left for lunch, only to return too soon and sit and watch a never ending parade of Flower Girl and Bridesmaid dresses while we waited to watch the dance routine they had worked on all week. Every dress that came out the little 5-year-old at my side would ooh and ahh and lament about those girls who got to wear the pretty dresses and why wasn't she wearing one of those dresses... And honestly, all I could think was, ya... I wonder that too. 

Eventually I got over it and realized that 65% of the dresses were hideous and the girl who had to keep readjusting made me feel a little better about myself... Mentally criticizing my surroundings usually does, you know, because i'm a horrible  person... 

Plus, I got a pretty legit GIANT diamond-ring key chain for free so all in all, it wasn't a bad afternoon... Not a bad afternoon at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment