Thursday, March 13, 2014

Online Dating: a cautionary tale

Have you ever tried online dating? Well I can now add my name to the list of those who answer this question in the affirmative... unfortunately...

Yes, only a few weeks ago I added my picture and some personal information to OKCupid... it's a fairly free service (Although if you want extra perks, you have to pay a little bit extra). The smart-phone app is semi-reliable and fairly easy to navigate. You get updates when someone "likes" you, although you can't see the list unless you pay the extra fee, and when someone sends you a message.

I've been flattered more than I ever have in the short few weeks I've been a member of this site, I've been told I'm "beautiful" "very pretty" "tall" "seem cool" and "the wrong kind of nerd" to name a few... It's a little awkward talking to these people though, for a few reasons....

  1. the question of who should carry the conversation is a little unanswered, there's no correct formula for this. If they message you first, it seems sound to assume that they will be the one to try to further the conversation, however, sometimes that is not always the case, at which time you're left wonder... do I ask some questions to keep this going? do i say something like "if you want to get to know me you better start talking" (I was told to say something like that from a friend of mine... but wondered if that was rude...) what is my role as the message-e...
  2. What if you get a little too weirded out, do you say "dude, you're weird, stop messaging me" or do you just not answer and hope they get the hint?
  3. and the grand finale of all awkwardness: what if a married person messages you... Yes, this happened... it started with Veronica Mars... he noticed that in one of my pictures I was wearing my V-Mars backer shirt, and he asked me about it... so I went to check out his profile, and the first thing I notice is that he's married... so after debating about what to say for a while I finally said "You seem nice and I love Veronica Mars but I don't feel comfortable talking to a married person on a dating site" and he went into this LONG-A$# explanation about how his wife has MS and his life sucks and he loves her but isn't having his "needs" met and I wanted to PUNCH HIM IN THE BALLS!!!!!Any who... he was looking for an open relationship but hasn't told his wife so yet, so if you're interested... you're going to hell.
Online dating is weird... but I haven't gotten enough complements from boys yet, so I'll probably keep my account for a little longer... 



No comments:

Post a Comment