Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Finally the finale!

By this time I'd imagine you're thinking... OH MY GOSH IT'S THE PAPER THAT NEVER ENDS! But you'd be wrong because today... it ends...

Part the last:


Despite all the good feelings and happy times I’ve had relating to television, I recognize its negative effects. Television helps us escape reality, for those 30-60 minutes we travel to a different world, a world where our problems do not exist. This effect, as many housewives addicted to the daily happenings in General Hospital have proven, can be dangerous. Too little reality has damaging effects on families as well as individual psyches. I’ve joked in the past about being in a trance when I watch television, but I often find people yelling at me to get my attention when I’ve been enthralled in show, the Zombie effect is not just a joke anymore. This escape from reality is all too exciting for someone like myself who hasn’t much excitement of her own. Although it is not something I like to widely advertise, I have never had a romantic relationship of my own, I have never experienced those emotions, and therefore the relationships I watch on television become all too exciting for me. This, I realize, might not be exactly healthy. How many people like myself escape their lack of drama into a world entirely dramatic just to have a little semblance of an idea of what that might be like someday. Does this skew our ideas of real relationships though? Will my focus on television romance one-day harm a chance for a romantic relationship of my own? These are questions I must ask myself and others like me must ask themselves, if we are to continue in our state of addiction.
As a whole Television is not bad, but I believe there is something to be said in the idea that one should practice moderation in EVERYTHING. America has always been known for her extremes, so it is no surprise that television is one of those, but a smart American recognizes that the freedom we are so proud of is relinquished as one lets an addiction take over.

So there you have it, the paper that if TVGuide accepts my applications could change everything, don't worry, I'll remember you when I'm accepting my Pulitzer prize or whatever... 

No comments:

Post a Comment