Friday, February 28, 2014

We're Just Friends

I have a friend... yes, that's right a F-R-I-E-N-D, he and I are members of opposite sex's, our friendship is such that our topics of conversation usually go way beyond the normal realm of Male-Female friendship. We talk about everything from Sex to Religion, from our families to sexual organs... it's weird, and awesome, and I'm laughing 95% of the time we're together. We have taken a road trip that accumulated to 18-hours of just us time and there was never a moment when we had an awkward "I don't know what to say now" moment. When we go out with friends we often answer questions for each other, or at the same time. When people quiz us about each other, it's almost scary how spot-on our answers are... and this friend, we've only been hanging out for a couple of months...

Our whirl-wind friendship has caught the eye of many of our friends, causing them to speculate about how "Friendly" our relationship really is... I can't even count anymore the number of times people have said "When are you guys getting married?!" or "Oh my gosh, just get married already" these things have been greatly discussed with the both of us, and with one or the other of us. We are constantly being asked why we just don't date already... We've both just accepted it as a fact of life, but every now and then I can see this twinge in his eye that says he's really-super done with all the marriage talk...

I could be offended by this, but as someone who's two years older than him (which is like a hundred years in Mormon years) I can't really blame him...

But seriously, what is it that says a man an a woman cannot be "just friends" here's my list of reasons we can be just friends!
  1. Maybe there's no mutual attraction... even if it exists on one side the other side could be a total dog, and I don't have to want to date someone just because I think they are super attractive... for instance I think Ian Sommerhaulder is a total fox, however his politics are atrocious and so I don't think I could even have a conversation with him... although if I'm really being honest, there wouldn't be much coversating going on... if you know what I mean...
  2. From what I hear being in a relationship is like friendship on fire... so what if you're afraid of fire? Huh? ever think about that?!
  3. Who's a better wing man for someone that someone of the same gender as the person you are trying to catch... think about it, men are men, therefor they know what men want! Women are women, so we know what women want! If you're besties** with someone of the opposite sex, you have an inside view of what the opposite sex likes!
  4.  There's a reason for yin and yang, and if you're unmarried, and not dating, why should you be denied that?! 
  5. Because it's fun! Being around people you share similar genitals with can be so boring! Girls get catty, boys are smelly... why not trade for a little while and not have to make it into something... it's casual, it's fun, it's SIMPLE, it's just hanging out! If Veronica and Wallace can do it, why can't I?
We're just friends people, and not the befits kind... trust me I've offered. ;-)



**A girl who's a guy's best-friend is his "BREAST-ie" a guy who's a girl's best-friend is her "bestie with Testies" 

No comments:

Post a Comment